Friday, October 3, 2014

Learning Journal 5: Where communication meets computers

This is something that's been hanging over my time in this class like a bad smell, a visible funk that fills the classroom every Thursday at 10AM that I can't ignore any longer because this week it was at its most intense.  This class is meant to act as a combination class both for CSIT major and CD majors yet I constantly feel like CD majors end up on the seriously short end of that stick, we’re the second class citizens it feels like, the homeless guys who were magnanimously invited to CSIT’s thanksgiving.  For instance look at this project we’re currently working on and how Dr. Tao phrases the terms of the project “select a subject that’s important to the major,” not the MAJORS, not YOUR major, but THE major, the one single major that everyone is considered to be part of.  My group ended up with the subject of cloud computing yet I’m a CD major with an emphasis in 3D modeling, this is not something I should be spending my time on because it’s not actually important to my career path.  Even the terms of the project itself work exclusively off the idea that you’re the kind of code monkey whose going to hack out a plan for your programming, nothing to do with designing interfaces, visual aesthetics, graphics, or anything else related to the people who are here as communication design majors.  There’s a whole segment of my project that needs to be devoted to the risks of cloud computing and I don’t see that has anything to do with me, I’m not going to be designing any cloud networks, at most I might be hiring someone else too and at that point THEY would know about the threats of cloud computing, that’s why I’d hire THEM.  You don’t insist that the Bio majors to projects on quantum mechanics but demanding CD majors throw together network security presentations is somehow better?

No comments:

Post a Comment