Friday, September 19, 2014

Learning Journal 3: Degree Learning Paths


         Having carefully examined all the possible degree pathways provided by the ITCD website I’ve decided that I really don’t like the sound of any of these really boring, drawn out, programming degrees.  I mean the computer-programming world is already thoroughly clogged with computer science bachelors who are being run out of a job by the folks in China or India, okay I don’t actually know that as a researched fact but this is also my research journal informed by my opinions and perceptions of the world so I’ll say what I liked and post what I like.  No I feel the masters in instructional technology would be a far better fit for me, partially because it would allow me to graduate with the skills to do 3D modeling for simulations and presentations, a very well paid freelance position that is thoroughly in demand due to the low number of modelers out there, and partially because that’s what an adviser suggested I go into, the same advisor who said I should take this course.  I’ve always been very skeevy towards programming, especially disliking the arrogant, smug, sense of superiority that seems almost endemic to most programmers who seem to think the ability to bash out some functional lines of code have made them into Doctor Manhattan.  It’s the same thinking that condemns Mac but praises PC, ignoring the fact that it was Mac’s unique and striking visual design and streamlined easy to use interface that helped popularize personal computing to the point that independent programmers can make millions by designing apps and random start-up internet companies.  Did I have a point I was working towards here? I think it was that I don’t like programming and I don’t care for most programmers which is why I’d rather take the more secure career path of 3D modeler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment