Friday, September 12, 2014

Learning Journal 2: Studying Ourselves


Study practice has always been a bit of a tricky subject for me.  I understand the need to study but the method by which I do has been an ever shifting and evolving process as I struggle to determine what manner of studying is truly effective for myself.  Initially for the longest time I didn’t even understand the concept of studying, it was like a foreign idea to me, a strange alternate occurrence that only happened to other people.  I just couldn’t wrap my head around the process.  It wasn’t until I was studying at a community college level that I finally clicked into understanding the process of it, the idea of repetition and even then I found simply reading, and re-reading, and re-reading material really wasn’t that conducive to my learning and applying the subject matter in an actual test setting.  When I came to CSUMB I eventually found what helped me most in studying was mock quizzes and worksheets, large lists of problems I could attempt as many times as I needed to understand the process behind getting an answer to a question rather than simply memorizing the information.  I feel that’s something not emphasized enough when it comes to studying, that the important thing to learn is the process more than just the random nuggets of knowledge, after all learning the process makes something universally applicable as opposed to something that can only help you in the brief instance of a test or quiz and becomes locked into a very limited and specific scenario. 

No comments:

Post a Comment